Monday 16 June 2014

14 June 2014 - Badgells Wood Campsite, Kent

Decided on first camping trip out with Max (aged 5) in order to wake up nice and cold and dirty on Father's Day! Chose Badgells Wood Campsite, only a ten minute drive from home, for this first experiment - close enough to leg-it home if needed. With no electricity on site, it was the perfect location to put a battery-powered trap out. But would a chestnut coppice site produce anything...?

Yes, had a lovely 100+ moths to greet me, first thing in the morning. Beautiful Carpet (1) and Peacock (10+) were two new species for me - Brindled White-spot (10+) and Twin-spot Carpet (10+) were only the second time in my clutches!

The folk who run the campsite (Karina and colleagues) were extremely welcoming of my mothing activities and grateful for the records after my visit - do send them your records if you stay.

Happy Father's Day!
Beautiful Carpet
Peacock Moth
Twin-spot Carpet
Brindled White Spot

Lozotaenia forsterana
Beautiful Golden-Y
Purple Clay

Small White Wave



2 comments:

Bennyboymothman said...

Hi buddy
Your Micro is L. forsterana. I forget the first name..Lozotaenia I think?

The Bald Birder said...

Thanks for that - I knew I was being a little lazy by not checking the other book!