Friday 31 July 2020

31 July 2020: Black Kite, St Mary's, IOS

After the fantastic events of last night, today was taken at a leisurely pace - it is a holiday after all... We walked up to Longstones for an afternoon cuppa. Sat on a bench at 15:58 I found two swifts. At 16:00 I found a Peregrine. At 16:02 I found a large but distant raptor - buzzard? No. Harrier? Possible Marsh, but not right. Kite? Not Red. As time progressed, despite the distant views, it became all the more apparent that this was either a Marsh Harrier or a Black Kite - time to put the news out. A check of the WhatsApp Group said Buzzard spp!!! Must be the same bird, but...

At 16:20 views were improving - surely I'd found myself a Black Kite! A few minutes later I was happy to call it - Back Kite.

All in all, this isn't turning out to be a bad holiday at all!



Black Kite - Longstones, St Marys, Isles of Scilly



No comments: