Thursday 3 July 2008

3 July 2008 - Mereworth Woods

Got a text from Adam last night to say that there were White Admiral butterflies doing there thing at nearby Mereworth Woods. Today, on my way from the office in East Malling to a graphics company (also in East Malling), I somehow got lost and found myself near some woods - close to Mereworth. For fear of getting further lost, I chose to take ten minutes out and have a walk around...

A quick walk (honest guv) produced a mass of Bell Heather along the woodland rides.


Strangalia melanura - whilst the larvae develop in the timber of many trees, the adults prefer sun bathing in bramble blossom.

Attention was drawn to a buzzing sound around my feet. Looking down (cos my feet don't usually buzz) a Honey Bee was in its last throws of buzzing, having been tackled to the ground and overpowered by Wood Ants. Poor B!

Had a further search of the glades and saw one White Admiral - a nice result. Got back and phoned Adam to thank him for the info - "No, the White Admirals have been seen in Barming Woods" - much closer to home/office and graphics companies...

2 comments:

SVELTESNAPPER said...

Oh thanks for the heads up re the white Admirals..So thats how it is is it? what else are you supressing eh? unicorns,ghost orchids,Dan with his shirt on..

The Bald Birder said...

So - I got the message wrong and went to the wrong place. With no idea where to go, it was a recky - that fact that I found a White Admiral is cos I is a genius! Following day, Adam textedededed again to say he was in Barming Woods - so I dropped everything and met him and Mike Easterbrook and found another. Two locals sites with White Admirals - nice. Will try and get you better directions when winter has arrived.