Sunday 19 February 2023

19 February 2023 - Glossy Ibis at Dunge ARC

On our visit to the Dunge area with Max, for amphibians and bryophytes, he called two Glossy Ibis as they flew round in front of the Hanson Hide (ARC pit). We entered the empty hide and had the two birds to ourselves for 15minutes before Max thought he saw a second group of two birds fly in to the reeds across the water - likely he saw all four birds in the area (and I wouldn't have seen any on this trip without him!). 

I confess, I really like Glossy Ibis and since my first UK record at Stodmarsh (with my late father) back in ancient times...I've tried to see a few further birds. Success hasn't always headed in my direction and I have too many naff pictures of birds seen from miles away - consequently, todays experience was a little bit special.

My closest Glossy Ibis experience was a couple of summers ago, when I happened to be in the Stephen Sussex hide on St Marys, Scilly, when one was gathered up and gleaned of its baked-on mud.









No comments: